What is Endometriosis?
Affecting approximately 10% of women, endometriosis can cause pelvic pain, especially during menstrual periods and intercourse, as well as infertility. In endometriosis, the lining of the uterus (the endometrium) is found outside the uterus. Although the exact cause is unknown, retrograde menstruation (menstrual debris that goes backwards out of the fallopian tubes during periods) may play a part. Tampons are not suitable for women with endometriosis. Altered immunity is also thought to play a role in developing endometriosis. Aside from sometimes debilitating abdominal and back pain, the biggest problem with endometriosis is that some women have difficulty conceiving.
Does endometriosis cause infertility - and how?
- Endometriosis implants can distort the position of tubes or ovaries
- Endometriosis implants attract or activate macrophages, which can consume sperm
- Macrophages produce cytokines, toxic to sperm and embryos
- Endometriosis implants produce mucus, which can obstruct the fallopian tube
- Endometriosis is associated with LUF (Luteinized Unruptured Follicle Syndrome) and low progesterone
- Endometriosis is associated with abnormalities in the endometrium, which may prevent implantation
Western Medical Treatment
Endometriosis is difficult to cure and treatment aims at reducing problems associated with endometriosis, such as pain or infertility through:
- Hormonal treatment such as OCP, Danazol, Duphaston, Synarel, Zoladex
Acupuncture and Endometriosis
Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine is one of the very few safest treatment options for this malaise.
An endometriosis research study shows an effective rate of improvement using acupuncture:
- Dysmenorrhoea 98%
- Anal tenesmus 94%
- Pain on intercourse 88%
- Reduced mass size 87%
- 6 of 10 infertility patients pregnant
Liu JX.ZhongguoZhong Xi Yi Jie He ZaZhi.1994 Jun;14(6):337-9, 323-4 Wang D et al Zhong Xi Yi Jie He ZaZhi. 1991 Sep;11(9):524-6, 515
Study reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20728977
For natural acupuncture endometriosis treatment in Newport Beach, Mission Viejo, Santa Ana or in the Orange County area please schedule your first complimentary consult below.
What Patients Are Saying...
“ I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Kelly and often ask her to commute to Ventura County so we can continue to work on our cases together. She is an excellent healer and will be a true asset for any organization.”
"Everybody get on over to AK-U-Puncture Global Wellness and spread the word on all the good medicine being practiced there. Dr. Ata Kelly is the best acupuncturist I ever went to see."
“I am currently being treated by Dr. Kelly after a car accident. She is simply a blessing!”
“Exceptional. Skillful. Compassionate. Pain free for many years since I saw Dr. Kelly. The best!”
“ To be honest, I don’t like needles, but I still go, because she really helped me.”
“Dr. Kelly is committed to the health and well-being of her patients”
"Over the years I have sent many of my patients to Dr. Kelly and worked closely with her functional medicine and acupuncture practice…Dr. Kelly is well respected by her colleagues and loved by her patients. She goes above and beyond to help her patients to live happy and healthy life…on a personal note, I don’t believe there is more skilled, compassionate and knowledgeable doctor of Chinese Medicine with such a solid base of Western Medicine."
“Dr. Ata Kelly is very gentle, highly knowledgeable, intuitive, thoughtful & non-judgmental. She has a caring heart, amazing energy, solid clinical skills and a full understanding and appreciation of the energetic system of the human being. You would never leave her office without feeling better, more relaxed, refreshed and grounded. Dr. Ata truly believes that healing on physical, emotional and spiritual levels is in fact possible.”
- “I recommend her to everybody because I trust her. She has a gentle, holistic approach to health care. She treats problems, not symptoms.”
- “I was in pain for 6 years. Only few visits and I am a human again. I can’t believe it is possible.”
- “Dr. Kelly is a wealth of knowledge. Western or eastern medicine, nutrition, herbs, healthy cooking, growing a garden, psychotherapy and spirituality - she can help with her advice.”