The Trauma of Miscarriage
For many women, the difficulty they are having is not with fertility but with maintaining a pregnancy after they have successfully conceived.
Miscarriage is a very traumatic, distressing and grieving experience for lots of women.
- The clinical rate of miscarriage is reported to be between 10-25% or higher, depending on age
- 20% of pregnancies in women less than 40 will miscarry
- 1-2% of women of reproductive age will be affected by recurrent miscarriage (3 or more miscarriages)
- 75% of these women will eventually have a good outcome
- Approximately 60% of conceptions are lost even before a missed period
- Advanced age is a primary risk factor and the risk rises exponentially from the age of 35
- Several studies noted that male advanced age( >35-40) is associated with more miscarriages
- 80% of miscarriages happen within the first 3 months of pregnancy; women who have difficulty conceiving and have conceived through artificial means are at a much higher risk for early miscarriage.
Recurrent Miscarriage (RM): Defined as 3 or more consecutive first trimester miscarriages.This can affect 1% of couples trying to conceive.
Causes of habitual recurrent miscarriage
- Uterine and cervical abnormality
- Hormonal disorders: ovary and placenta
- Immunologic disorders
- Genetic abnormalities in the parents
- Uterine and pelvic infections
- Environmental causes
: stress; diet, chemical, drug and toxin exposure, EMF and radiation
Other chronic illnesses in either partner such as diabetes, thyroid, intestinal, cardiovascular or renal diseases, excess or low body weight can also be contributing factors.
Emotional stress and other psychological factors can also accompany a miscarriage. There are different types of miscarriage, different treatments for each, and different statistics for what your chances are of having one.
Symptoms of Miscarriage
- Mild to severe back pain, often worse than normal menstrual cramps
- White-pink mucus
- True contractions (very painful happening every 5-20 minutes)
- Brown or bright red bleeding with or without cramps
- Tissue with clot like material passing from the vagina
- Sudden decrease in pregnancy symptoms
How Chinese Medicine can help
Threatened miscarriage – tries to save a pregnancy at risk, reduces anxiety
Inevitable miscarriage and sequelae – helps to safely discharge the products of conception and prevent infections
Recurrent miscarriage – prevents future miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies
To relieve and prevent miscarriage symptoms with acupuncture treatment in Newport Beach, Mission Viejo, Santa Ana or in the Orange County area please schedule your first complimentary consult below.
What Patients Are Saying...
“ I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Kelly and often ask her to commute to Ventura County so we can continue to work on our cases together. She is an excellent healer and will be a true asset for any organization.”
"Everybody get on over to AK-U-Puncture Global Wellness and spread the word on all the good medicine being practiced there. Dr. Ata Kelly is the best acupuncturist I ever went to see."
“I am currently being treated by Dr. Kelly after a car accident. She is simply a blessing!”
“Exceptional. Skillful. Compassionate. Pain free for many years since I saw Dr. Kelly. The best!”
“ To be honest, I don’t like needles, but I still go, because she really helped me.”
“Dr. Kelly is committed to the health and well-being of her patients”
"Over the years I have sent many of my patients to Dr. Kelly and worked closely with her functional medicine and acupuncture practice…Dr. Kelly is well respected by her colleagues and loved by her patients. She goes above and beyond to help her patients to live happy and healthy life…on a personal note, I don’t believe there is more skilled, compassionate and knowledgeable doctor of Chinese Medicine with such a solid base of Western Medicine."
“Dr. Ata Kelly is very gentle, highly knowledgeable, intuitive, thoughtful & non-judgmental. She has a caring heart, amazing energy, solid clinical skills and a full understanding and appreciation of the energetic system of the human being. You would never leave her office without feeling better, more relaxed, refreshed and grounded. Dr. Ata truly believes that healing on physical, emotional and spiritual levels is in fact possible.”
- “I recommend her to everybody because I trust her. She has a gentle, holistic approach to health care. She treats problems, not symptoms.”
- “I was in pain for 6 years. Only few visits and I am a human again. I can’t believe it is possible.”
- “Dr. Kelly is a wealth of knowledge. Western or eastern medicine, nutrition, herbs, healthy cooking, growing a garden, psychotherapy and spirituality - she can help with her advice.”